Start Girls on the Run at Your School
Interested in bringing Girls on the Run to your school or community? You are in the right place! Typically it takes a just few weeks to start a new gotr team, as we set up the coaches and running site while recruiting a group of runners. Below are the steps to take to start a new site.
- Fill out this short survey. Someone will be in contact with shortly.
- Set up a meeting with our GOTR Staff. We’ll discuss all aspects of hosting a GOTR program at your school. A GOTR Site Agreement will need to be filled out. Sites need to provide a minimum of one coach and one site liaison.
- To recruit some runners for the program, we’ll discuss a marketing plan. Typically our GOTR staff will drop off flyers at the school, and our staff come out to speak with the girls at your school at a convenient time (Lunch, Phys Ed, Home Room, or Assembly).
- Parent Meeting is scheduled.
- Season Begins!
Ready to start now? Look through our New Site Packet for all information about starting GOTR. Contact Sarah Hwozdik with questions, firstname.lastname@example.org
Girls on the Run volunteers are the core of our program. Here are a few ways to become involved:
- Motivate and inspire as a coach or junior coach
- Help during the 5K to make it as special as possible for each girl
- Serve on Team Adelaide and help local teams run smoothly
- Participate in your own race while raising money for GOTR as a SoleMate
Volunteer to Coach
Volunteering as a coach is the most rewarding way to get involved with Girls on the Run. Our volunteer coaches lead their teams through the Girls on the Run-developed curriculum, stretching and running activities, and training for the end-of-season 5K event. You do not need to be a runner or a competitive athlete. Successful coaches need only serve as a role model for girls by showing up prepared and on time, listening attentively, and by demonstrating a positive attitude! Before making a commitment to coach, please consider the following:
- Teams meet twice a week for 75 minutes.
- New Coaches will complete online training modules and are asked to attend GOTR Coach Training session, complete a background check, complete Child-Safe online modules, and are offered a CPR/First Aid certification course, if needed. Total training time (in-person and online) is roughly 20 hours total.
- The Celebration 5K is held at the end of the season and is held on a Sunday morning–usually a 4-5 hour commitment.
- Click Coaches Job Description to learn more about Girls on the Run coaching positions
- Teachers can receive 5 SCECH’s for attending training, you can apply within coaches registration.
- Questions? Contact Stacey Butler, email@example.com
Register to Coach
If you already know where you’ll be coaching: CLICK HERE to register with your specific team.
If you are interested in becoming a coach for one of our programs: CLICK HERE for our Coach Interest Form
Volunteer at our 5K
We are always looking for volunteers to help with our season-ending, celebration 5K! We need hundreds of helping hands to make this day special for all of our runners. Registration to volunteer at our Spring 2018 5k will open in March 2018.
Team Adelaide and STRIDE Squad is a great volunteer opportunity for those who cannot commit enough time to coach but who want to stay involved. Additionally, Team Adelaide and STRIDE Squad members who complete the training and site visits will receive a free race registration for our end of season 5K!
If you are a veteran coach for our program and wish to serve on Team Adelaide, click here for more information!
Girls on the Run SoleMates
Crossing the finish line never felt so good!
Charity running has become an integral part of most endurance events across the country. Training for any endurance event is often challenging and being a SoleMate is a great way to keep it fun, stay motivated and maintain your commitment.
The Girls on the Run SoleMates program provides adults an opportunity to raise money for Girls on the Run while training for the athletic event of their choice. SoleMates set personal goals such as running in a marathon or 10k event to raise money for Girls on the Run in their community. Each year, our SoleMates raise critically needed funds that ensure our councils are able to serve more girls in their communities.
“1,193 SoleMates participated in over 250 events, ran 14,898 miles in the United States, Canada, France and China, and raised over $650,000 for Girls on the Run councils.”
Whether you are participating in your first or fiftieth marathon, by becoming a SoleMate you are doing much more than achieving your personal fitness goals. By asking friends to support your event training and participation with a donation on your behalf to Girls on the Run, you are showing your true commitment to the values we are instilling in girls everywhere to celebrate their physical and emotional health. Sign up today to be a SoleMates and let your love of running make a difference in the life of a girl.
Interested in participating in SoleMates for Greater Detroit? Click here to start your SoleMate journey!
Supporting Girls on the Run of Metro Detroit allows for moments like this:
“[My daughter] joined GOTR in part so she would not be the last one to finish when they ran at school. We, of course, tried to reinforce with [her] that it does not matter how fast you, run just that you are trying and doing it! [She] ran a mile today, after which she literally burst into tears and exclaimed, “This is the best day of my life!” She was not kidding; this is truly how she felt. You were each a part of making yesterday a day she will not forget. [She] took a victory lap after completing her mile.”
– Sarah P.
“My daughter met great new friends, all while learning about such valuable topics like health, nutrition and self-image. Thank you GOTR for providing such a wonderful environment and opportunity for the girls in our community.”
– Janice N.
Thank you for your support!
Become a Sponsor
Click Here for more information about our sponsorship packages
To speak with someone about becoming a partner of Girls on the Run contact Jackie Kippen at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why We Raise Funds:
It’s our goal to make Girls on the Run available to every girl, regardless of her financial circumstances!